Recently, I posted some of the decorations I made for my daughter’s bridal shower. Today, I wanted to show you a couple more things I made, using simple, inexpensive items. Let’s get started!
For the first decoration, I purchased pieces of heavy cardstock in black, white, and red, along with some gold glittery letter stickers that came in a pack at Hobby Lobby. I then cut out flag shapes by cutting the piece of cardstock in fourths, then notching the bottom, to create the banner. Starting and ending with white, and then alternating the wedding colors, I spelled out BRIDE TO-BE with the gold letters.
Using my trusty paper hole punch, I punched holes in each upper corner of the flags. Using a roll of thin red toile ribbon, the next step was to weave the ribbon through the holes in an over-under fashion. I didn’t make knots the ribbon in between, as leaving the ribbon free allows me to manipulate the spacing once it is hung.
The flag banner was hung in two rows, one saying BRIDE and one saying TO-BE. Using the dash in between “to be” made each row more symmetrical with five flags. The last step was to hang it on the mirror in the dining room, using clear packing tape. It really added a festive touch to the mirror, and at a very reasonable cost.
Emboldened with my success on the first one, along with the fact that I still had extra flags and letters, I decided to make another, smaller banner for the fireplace mantel, where Robyn would be opening her gifts. I felt like I was playing Scrabble, trying to figure out what I could spell out with the letters I had remaining. Aha, LOVE would work, using up my last E! Sometimes it’s the little things that bring me the most joy:)
Next, I went to work on a door wreath to welcome shower guests. I googled images of bridal shower wreathes and was surprised to see that it really was “a thing.” Finding a sample I liked, I began accumulating the items needed to create a similar style. First, ordered a simple white Styrofoam wreath, which was here before I knew it.
Next, I cut white carnations off bouquets purchased at the Dollar Tree. Without even using a glue gun, I stuck the stems into the Styrofoam, working my way around the entire wreath form.
At the bottom of the wreath, I created a multi-layered large bow using tulle from a roll I had purchased for bridal shower decor. You can never have enough tulle for wedding decorations, I say! The key to this wreath is to leave very long and full tails off of the bow, simulating a bridal veil. I attached the bow to the bottom and trimmed off the tails until I was happy with the length and fullness.
Lastly, I embellished the wreath with two clusters of small red roses and leaves on each side of the bow, reinforcing the bridal colors, and covered the knot of the bow with a gold glittery heart I cut out of left-over cardstock. The roses and heart were attached using a glue gun. I hung the wreath on the front door to see how it would look on the day of the shower and couldn’t have been more pleased. There was a light breeze that made the “veil” flutter ever so slightly, making the wreath look beautiful.
Not really bridal shower decor, but another project I completed this week, was wrapping the prizes for the games. Using prebought black and white striped bags, as well as some smaller red, white and black versions, I put together the gifts and added striped tissue as a final flourish.
I ended up not having enough bags, so I went to my stash of gift wrap and found two bags that fit the color scheme that I hoped could be embellished to disguise the company logo on each. The first was a black Tumi bag, whose logo was covered with red cardstock and embellished with a gold star cut out of the gold glittery cardstock.
The last bag was from Sephora, and I marveled at how nice it was of them to use gift bags that perfectly fit our black and white striped wedding theme:) For this bag, I just covered the small Sephora logo with, you guessed it, another gold glittery heart. Boy, I was really getting my money’s worth out of these sheets of glittery cardstock.
Whew, that is it for the bridal shower decor for me! Well, except for cutting up long strips of black and white striped fabric to create table runners for the tables. But then, I’m done. Seriously. I really mean it. I even put away the cardstock, tissue, tulle, and scissors. I can see my kitchen counters again, and all is well in bridal shower land.
PS….I will post pictures of how the table decorations turned out, once they are done, complete with florals and candles. I hope they look as nice as they do in my head…